Camotalk – Amsterdam Hackers & Designers Meetup
Sources for the talk I’ll give today for the Amsterdam Hackers & Designers Meetup.
Camouflage: Histories & Identities, Systems & Magic
In rough order of the talk most things I’ll reference & that are shown on the slides. There aren’t sources for every single image, I honestly just have them in a big file of shit cribbed off tumblr & image search. This isn’t exactly academic over here. I have made sure that all projects by other artists & designers are listed.
- Obligatory Gibson Quote
- Strawberry Poison Dart Frog
- World War 1 Colour Photos
- La Guerre Documentée
- Abbott H. Thayer
- Dazzle Camouflage
- Germany (Third Reich)
- TAZ / TAZ 83 / Alpenflage
- Duck Hunter
- The Ghost Army
- ERDL Pattern
- M81 Woodland
- Biggie Smalls in US six-color desert camouflage
- MULTICAM® / OCP
- And Now, the Multicam Bathrobe – Where Will It End?
- Pictures of specops guys I probably stole off some tumblr.
- Alex Jessup – DIAMONDBACK: ADVANCED RECON
- Scorpion W2 Operational Camouflage Pattern
- Netherlands Fractal Pattern
- Adam Harvey – CV Dazzle
- Martin Backes – Pixelhead Media Camouflage Mask
- Simone C. Niquille – RealFace Glamouflage
- MetaHaven: Black Transparency
- Suzanne Treister – Camouflage
- GHCQ – The Art of Deception: Training for a New Generation of Online Covert Operations
Related reading & resources:
The more interesting articles I read while researching the talk. You will hear me echoing ideas that these people came up with before me.
- Vanishing Ducks. Surveillance, Art & Camouflage
- I Love a Man in Uniform: The Rise of Military Industrial Complex Chic
- Disappear Us: Algorithms, Aesthetics, and the Armed Forces
- A Disguise For When You Want to be Seen
- Art, Culture & Camouflage
- Hide and Seek: Camouflage, Photography and the Media of Reconnaissance
- http://www.combatreform.org/index.htm – Great if you can bare to look at it long enough to read it.